Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Disheartening First Runs

My first two training runs have been less than inspired. I ran three miles on Monday night, after dinner. I ran after eating a cheeseburger; I should have known that would be stupid. About halfway in, I got a nasty cramp in my lower right abdomen, and ended up limping about halfway home. So, my second training run was scheduled for today, and I figured I would get up early this morning and do it before the day got too hot.

News flash to myself: I am going to have to get going a LOT earlier in order to do that.

I got going, and was doing all right for about the first mile and a half. I was even running some hills. I live in a hilly neighborhood - some of them were big! And then by the start of mile two I had it in my head that it was all down hill from there and well, it was not. And it was not all down hill IN THE SUN. I was so hot that I contemplated stopping in some of the local restaurants to beg for some ice water. At this point, I was so dehydrated that I wasn't even sweating - I am not kidding. I knew this was bad, and at this point, I was just hoping to make it home without collapsing. The weather had changed, and relatively quickly. I knew that I was going to have to learn how to be better prepared for my runs - or to time them better anyhow! I have a feeling this is going to be a hot summer. I ended up having to walk at least the last mile home; I am going to have to prepare better because my overall time was awful.

So, today I went out and bought a water/fuel belt. It has a slot for a water bottle in the center, and two little pouches on the sides so that as my runs get longer, I can stash some gels/bars. I have a shorter 3 mile run tomorrow, and I am hoping to get going really early. I remember how great I used to feel when I really got going and got going fast on a treadmill - it sure didn't feel like this, though. It was in an air-conditioned gym. Somehow I want to get back to the way I felt when I was running then.

No comments:

Post a Comment